What can make you feel more refreshed on a hot summer day than an icy, cold glass of lemonade? But, did you know there are many other practical uses for this sour fruit! Here are 5 more ways to use the leftover juice and rinds to clean your home, or create new and eco-friendly DIY products to use!
- Lemons can also be used as a safe and natural way to clean the inside of microwaves! Add lemon rinds in a bowl of water and microwave it for around 10 minutes (until it approaches a boil). After the steam sticks to the sides of the microwave you will be able to wipe away any stains!
- For the avid painter, here’s a way to renew old brushes. Just dip the hardened paintbrush into boiling lemon juice, let it cool for about 20 minutes with the heat off, then wash it all off.
- Lemon juice also helps whiten cloth, so add a little to your laundry detergent to restore whiteness.
- After juicing lemons for some fresh lemonade, drop the skins in a pot of simmering water for a few hours, and there you have a DIY air freshener!
- Our most favorite household use for lemon is the DIY furniture polish! By mixing the juice from two lemons, two teaspoons of olive oil, and two teaspoons of water, you can create the perfect natural substitute for all those chemical-filled furniture polishes. Rub a thin layer of this mixture onto your favorite wood furniture, and buff it off for added shine. This mixture can also be used to shine your shoes! How’s that for a kick?!